HIV AIDS Stigma and education

How to Cope with Stigma

How to Cope with the AIDS Stigma

There is no simple answer for how to deal with the stigma surrounding HIV and AIDS.
  • Ask your doctor about local HIV/AIDS support groups. Or, ask to be referred to a psychologist, psychiatrist or clinical social worker. (Currently we do have a local support group that can offer you help and support with many issues.)
  • Find a hotline by looking in the yellow pages or online. Some search terms to look for include “AIDS, HIV Educational Referral and Support Services” or “Social Service Organizations.” Ask for practical advice or emotional support and these services can also refer you to local HIV/AIDS self-help organizations.